Certification & Recertification
Thinking about getting certified? Don't know where to start? Take a look at these materials (featured in our June 2008 presentation "Choosing the Right Certification for your Career."):
- Certifications Comparison (PDF 44KB)
- Career Paths & Certifications (JPG 236KB)
- Choosing the Right Certification for your Career (PPT 1.4MB)
Beginning this year QAI certification exams are hosted year-round by Prometric Testing Centers.
ASQ offers the following software quality assurance certifications. Exams are sponsored by the ASQ chapter in Seattle. Click on the links below for information on dates, signup, and location. Study on your own and with the aid of SASQAG study groups.
The paper-based exams have been replaced with Internet-based exams administered by PROMETRIC Testing Centers and are now available all year long (based on availability). When you register and take any of these tests please list SASQAG as your local affiliation so that we can get credit for your testing.
Study on your own and with the aid of SASQAG study groups. QAI offers the following software quality assurance certifications, please visit QAI's Software Certifications web site for more information::
- Certified Software Quality Analyst (CSQA)
- Certified Software Tester (CSTE)
Advanced Levels of Certification
- Certified Manager of Software Quality (CMSQ)
- Certified Manager of Software Testing (CMST)
The University of Washington UW Extension offers certificate programs in many programming languages, software engineering, software product management, and software testing. Programs offer night classes and distance learning.
Most professional certifications require you to re-certify by submitting proof that you have been keeping up to date within your field and the body of knowledge (BOK) of your certification.
This takes place usually every 3 to 4 years (depending on your certification) and it requires that you collect re-certification "credits" throughout that time span in a variety of categories, such as the following examples:
- Continuing Education & College course work
- Participation in the profession
- Membership in organizations like SASQAG, QAI and ASQ
- Teaching and training
- Attending seminars and conferences
It is very important to be aware of any limitations your certification board may impose, such as year limits on how many credits you can collect per year.
Here are some helpful links for recertification, but please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. We have been recertified and we can tell you about our experience.
- QAI: http://www.softwarecertifications.org/qai_recertification.htm
- ASQ: http://www.asq.org/certification/recertification/
More will be posted soon.